Post 1 - Building Your Connected Learning Community


In Chapter 6 of The Connected Educator, the author, Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach, discusses the importance of developing and progressing an online presence in a world of constantly changing and increasing technology and information. Nussbaum- Beach also highlights that building connections through this technology should not lessen the quality of relationship versus one in real life. Despite the interaction not being face-to-face, this is still a vital aspect to creating an online presence and can provide many benefits when networking. Having a strong foundation and presence on online websites is a major key to a success with your Personal Learning Network. Nussbaum-Beach also makes a point that is okay to be selective when deciding who to interact with, as a beginner at building a PLN. A great solution to this is looking at who someone else is following, then determining whether or not you both have shared interests.
The process of beginning and growing your PLN is not based on how big or how small, but more so, on the quality and supportiveness of your interests. The most important aspect of a PLN is connecting with like-minded individuals and expanding your opportunities in whatever field or interest you find fit. If you find yourself following or interacting with a group that does not share your same interests, it is recommended that you make a more thorough attempt to connect with people who you share ideologies with.
As far as my own personal process goes, I am undetermined which career I will be going into, however, I am studying Health Science. With this, I know I must connect with those who share the same interest in Health Science as I do. With my PLN I will be able to further expand my knowledge of the Health Science field, build connections within it, and allow other professionals to know who I am for potential networking or services. This will definitely be vital to my future career.
Overall, this process can be very beneficial for everyone. This includes, those trying to begin making connects, or those who are trying to broaden and increase their networks. Because of all the technological advances and the infinite amounts of information online, establishing a PLN is the way of the future. It is accessible for anyone in any career and has the potential to expand opportunities beyond what may otherwise be possible. 


Nussbaum-Beach, S., & Hall, L. R. (2012). The Connected Educator: Learning and Leading in a Digital Age. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.

Comments

  1. This highlighted the selection process of creating your personal network. It is crucial to know that the connections you are making will be beneficial to your career and knowledge of a field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe for some it takes time trying to figure out what theme you want your PLN to be about. I also think that a health science PLN is a great idea because you can get others in that field to come together and grow as a community by brainstorming what you want your PLN to specifically focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you know that you would like to enter the Health Science field but have not decided on a potential career, you could also use your PLN to help narrow down options. If you expose yourself to a broader area within the field first, you will be able to eliminate which areas you want to avoid when looking for a job in your future profession. Once you narrow down connections your network will be of great value to you in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to you because at first I wasn't sure what I wanted my career path to be but I've learned you will eventually figure it out! I love your statement about how it doesn't matter how big or small your PLN is but more so focusing on the quality. Being new to all this I was nervous to expand my network but reading all these posts I see we are all in the same boat starting out and learning. Being you is the true key while maintaining a strong foundation like you said. I know you will be successful in the health science field and I wish you the best of luck with your future. This class will help us all start expanding our networks to prepare us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 5